ART OF THE WORLD. ART OF THE PEOPLE.
Mingei International Museum is located in the heart of historic Balboa Park, on the Plaza de Panama. The Museum features dynamic, changing exhibitions of folk art, craft and design from all cultures of the world, displayed throughout six beautiful galleries. The Museum is also home to an Art Reference Library and The Collectors’ Gallery, our popular museum store.
You’ll find everything you need to plan your visit right here. Start with a look at our current and future exhibitions, and browse the calendar of programs and events. There’s always something new to learn about, appreciate, and celebrate.
RESIDENTS FREE TUESDAY
On the third Tuesday of each month, the Museum extends free admission to:
- All San Diego County residents
- Students at local colleges and universities (ID required)
- Active duty military (ID required)
- Part-time residents/vacation home owners (except time share owners)
Tours are not available on Residents Free Tuesday.
KIDS ARE WELCOME AT MINGEI
Here are some tips to make your family visit the best possible:
- Download and print the Balboa Park Family Guide at balboapark.org
- Consider visiting on Family Sunday, when we always offer a hands-on art project, and a treasure map that helps kids explore the Museum in a new way.
- That big alligator outside? It belongs to Mingei! Don’t leave the park until you’ve climbed it, touched it, walked under it and posed for a photo.
- Please review our Museum guidelines for more information.
- During October all kids are free!
DAILY DOCENT LED TOURS
Explore our exhibitions with a complimentary docent-led tour. Tours begin at 2pm in the Museum’s lobby, Tuesday through Sunday.
Mingei is committed to serving visitors with special needs. Our building is equipped with two elevators as well as wheelchair friendly flooring throughout. There are dedicated accessible parking spaces for disabled visitors directly behind the Museum.
Interested in exploring the entire Park? Check out Balboa Park Explorer, the first-ever annual pass that provides general admission to 17 cultural institutions in Balboa Park for a full year.
The Balboa Park Explorer is now available for purchase online or here at the Museum.